The national currency in Cuba is the Cuban Peso (CUP). It also circulates the Cuban Convertible Peso (CUC), used as a means of exchanging foreign currencies according to the officially established exchange rates. Check the website of the Cuban Metropolitan Bank.
Tips for the traveler:
- In the airports there are Currency Exchange Offices (CADECAS) open 24 hours, we suggest when you arrive in Cuba, change your money to CUC before leaving the airport.
- Always change in CADECA (official exchange houses) or in Banks, avoid changing with unauthorized persons for these purposes.
- In Cuba you can change the following currencies: Canadian dollar, British pound, Mexican peso, Swiss franc, Euro, Danish crown, Norwegian crown, Swedish crown, Japanese yen, Cuban peso and US dollar.
- CUCs are not valid or changeable outside of Cuban territory. When you leave the country you can change your surplus money to euros or dollars again. If it is in dollars, the 10% tax does not apply - There is no fee for departure from the airport.
- VISA and MASTERCARD credit cards are accepted as long as they have not been issued by US banks or their subsidiaries. With both cards you can withdraw money at Banks, CADECAS and ATMs. Note that: If the branch of the Bank issuing your card in your country is from a United States bank, your card will NOT be accepted.
- Travel Checks are not changed.